By Carroll Pursell
- 22 unique essays via professional students conceal an important positive factors of yank know-how, together with advancements in autos, tv, and computing
- Analyzes the ways that applied sciences are equipped, equivalent to within the engineering occupation, govt, drugs and agriculture
- Includes discussions of the way applied sciences have interaction with race, gender, classification, and different organizing constructions in American society
Read Online or Download A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Best history of technology & engineering books
Aujourd'hui, dans nos contrées froides ou tempérées, nous pouvons aisément admirer l. a. flore tropicale en visitant les grandes serres qui agrémentent un sure nombre de jardins publics ou privés. Mais en fut-il toujours ainsi ? L'auteur retrace cette quête des hommes, permanente depuis le début du XVIIe siècle, pour jouir du plaisir de posséder et contempler ces étranges végétaux venus des « zones torrides ».
This booklet covers the background of 'Big Ben', the nice clock and bells at Westminster, from the origins of Westminster because the seat of presidency correct as much as the celebrations of the good Clock's a hundred and fiftieth anniversary in 2009. The publication starts by way of taking the reader via a customary stopover at to the Clock Tower, after which starts off the heritage of the palace of Westminster, overlaying the hearth of 1834, the development of the hot homes of Parliament and improvement of the clock and the bells, going into aspect on their layout and deploy.
Post-industrial panorama scars are lines of twentieth century utopian visions of society; they relate to worry and resistance expressed via well known hobbies and to kin among commercial employees and people in strength. The metaphor of the scar pinpoints the inherent ambiguity of reminiscence paintings by way of signifying either optimistic and adverse reviews, in addition to the modern demanding situations of dwelling with those actual and psychological marks.
A century in the past, Treadwell, Alaska, was once a featured cease on steamship cruises, a wealthy, up to date city that used to be the main popular and proud in all Alaska. Its wealth, even if, was once based at the remarkably effective gold mines on Douglas Island, and whilst these caved in and flooded within the early many years of the 20th century, Treadwell sank into relative obscurity.
- Clipping the Clouds: How Air Travel Changed the World (Moving Through History: Transportation and Society)
- History of Technology Volume 13
- Openness, Secrecy, Authorship: Technical Arts and the Culture of Knowledge from Antiquity to the Renaissance
- The Industrial Revolution: History, Documents, and Key Questions (Crossroads in World History)
- The Machine in America: A Social History of Technology
- The Birth of NASA: The Work of the Space Task Group, America's First True Space Pioneers (Springer Praxis Books)
Extra resources for A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)
A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) by Carroll Pursell