By Peter Borsay
A heritage of Leisure
- explores various hobbies, from festive tradition and tune to tourism and sport
- emphasises a conceptual and important method, instead of an easy narrative history
- covers more than a few issues together with financial system, nation, type, identities, position, house and time
- treats the constituent elements of the British Isles as a fluid and dynamic amalgam of neighborhood and nationwide cultures and polities.
Authoritative and interesting, this article demanding situations traditional perspectives at the historical past of rest and indicates new techniques to the topic. Borsay attracts upon the insights supplied by means of numerous disciplines along that of heritage - anthropology, the humanities, geography and sociology - to provide a necessary advisor to this attention-grabbing quarter of study.
Read Online or Download A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 PDF
Best sociology of sports books
Regardless of a becoming curiosity within the sociology of the physique, there has thus far been an absence of scholarly paintings addressing the embodied points which shape a valuable? half? of our figuring out and event of? game and stream cultures. getting to know Embodied activity explores the political, social and cultural importance of embodied ways to the research of game, exercises and dance.
During this re-creation of his acclaimed booklet, Richard Giulianotti offers a severe sociological interpretation of contemporary recreation. As international gala's reminiscent of the Olympic video games and football’s international Cup show, sport’s social, political, financial and cultural importance is turning into ever extra obvious the world over.
S'appuyant sur les meilleurs spécialistes internationaux, cet ouvrage suggest un état des lieux des recherches en sociologie du recreation. Quels sont les effets de los angeles "globalisation" actuelle du activity et de ses spectacles ? remark analyser les rapprochements entre recreation et médias ? Certaines formes de ségrégation ne perdurent-elles pas ?
Activity revolves round issues: narrative and numbers. you would like the narrative, another way why might someone care approximately game? Rivalries, feelings, and carrying legends all require it. yet activity additionally wishes numbers. with no them, we don't have any concept who has received. we want numbers to inform which staff is best of the desk, or who's the area champion.
- The Student Athlete's Guide to College Success
- Fair and Foul: Beyond the Myths and Paradoxes of Sport
- The National Games and National Identity in China: A History (Routledge Focus on Sport, Culture and Society)
- Sport, Medicine, Ethics
- Routledge Handbook of Sports Coaching (Routledge International Handbooks)
Additional resources for A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500
A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 by Peter Borsay